Friday, August 22, 2008

Congratulations Michael Phelps - 8 Gold and 12,000 calories a day!

I must say that I watched a lot more of the Olympics this year than I ever thought that I would. If I had to come up with a reason why I could probably sum it up in two words:

Michael Phelps

Mind you that I don't think I have ever even wanted to watch a swimming event from start to finish before, but Phelps accomplishments were so stunning that if you call yourself a sports fan then you had to be curious if he could pull it off. Not only did he deliver but he delivered in dramatic style! With the help of some determined teammates (and their help should not be taken lightly) he has broken so many records it is unbelievable.

There are so many articles about every aspect of his life being written that I could probably post a blog page every day for a few years linking to them but since I have my health challenge going I thought that the most interesting fact I found was this:

According to Chris Chase who writes a sports blog for Yahoo, Phelps " recently said he consumes 12,000 calories per day, or 9,500 more than the FDA recommends for an active, young male."

12,000 a day! WOW! I can already see a future headline:
4th of July 2009 Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Champion - Michael Phelps :)

Here is the article:
Michael Phelps eats 12,000 calories per day

No comments: